Sunday, January 8, 2012

FHE: Goals,lists, and organization

I'm in the process of putting together an organization page (in the bar above).  I noticed today that I've posted quite a bit about organization and lists, so I'll start compiling things there soon! Until then-  It's the beginning of the year, and because it is custom to start off with new goals, my Family Home Evening lesson is on Goals, lists,and organization.  I'm finding a whole bunch of helpful and very interesting things in my research, so instead of posting my condensed lesson here, I'm going to post a lot of the things that I will make up my lesson.  I've found a lot of great organization charts and daily calendars (which I'll post below), and also some great quotes and tips from church leaders. Hope it's helpful! -Megan

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

TIPS
  •  Keep your goals somewhere you can see them.  If you aren't constantly reminded of the things you want to do, they won't happen. Pinned Image
I have done this in my own room, and I can honestly say from experience, that is very helpful!  I can see my papers, goals, and inspirations every day and they are always in the back of my mind because of it. This leads me to my second tip...
  • Sticky Notes! Don't be afraid to use them everywhere!  My number one use for them is to remind me to wake up/ pray in the morning/ call someone/whatever.  If I know that I won't get out of bed in the morning, I'll put a note up on my wall right where I know I'll be looking in the morning.  Something like "Hey Megan, get your lazy but out of bed and take a shower!", usually works just fine.  Be careful though! I had to take quite a few down when my family came in town and used my room for the week.  I didn't really think they wanted to know that I needed to get out of bed to crimp my hair on Thursday or finish reading my book report story before leaving. 
  • Your goals CANNOT work against each other.  Elder Dean L. Larson of the seventy said it perfectly in a devotional at BYU on May 13, 1980. 
"Unless the goals and objectives an individual works toward are harmonious with his general purpose in life, a devastating kind of internal conflict can develop which is destructive to happiness and personal development. Appropriate, useful goals and objectives must be a direct outgrowth of one’s perceived purpose in life. Otherwise they can lead to a random expenditure of effort and resources that may not contribute effectively to long-range progress. " - Dean L. Larson
  • There are two types of goals: short term and long term.  Long term goals are lifetime goals that must be built up to and worked towards.  Short term goals and goals that help us work towards finishing our long term goals. 
An example:  You want to make an apple pie.  Your long term goal: Make an apple pie from scratch by January 28th.  You've given yourself and goal and a time limit.  Now you need to break this goal into a few sections.  An example of these might be:

1. find a recipe
2. buy the ingredients
3. plan a day that you will have enough time (not in a rush) to accurately and comfortably achieve your goal.
4. Make your attempt.

By breaking your long term goal into pieces, you are able to check things off along the way and understand where in the process you are. 

 TYPES OF LISTS
  1. Daily planners
  2. Monthly Calendars
  3. Grocery lists
  4. To do lists
  5. Meal planning
  6. Digital (Apps and cell phone notes)
  7. Goals
TYPES OF GOALS
  1. Physical
  2. Spiritual/Religious
  3. Educational
  4. Social
  5. Emotional
  6. Developmental (talents)



 Talks and Lessons to go along with this subject:

No comments:

Post a Comment