Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fishing

Up at dawn
we reach the water, and slowly we dip in.
Feeling ocean that has been untouched by humans for
several religiously dark hours. 


Beneath my feet a city of fish,
now interrupted, realize we have come.
They've been busy all those hours in the ocean.


At first our arrival is a game.
The fish and other ocean inhabitants swiftly swim
about our ankles.  Excited for a new acquaintance
continueing their dance until they realize that
They are lunch, and we have
Not
come to play.


       We've been working on a poetry unit in Mrs. Terry's class at school and this is one poem that I wrote that I am proud of.  I thought I'd post it here.  (mostly because I don't have anything else to post right now :)
P.S.  The only time I've ever been fishing my whole life was a field trip in kindergarten.  It was hot and the fish was slimy...

No comments:

Post a Comment